KaChi DESIGNS- An Ankara Love Affair


Vakwetu had the pleasure of interviewing self taught Nigerian fashion designer Chichi Anaele. Chichi's  fashion label is called KaChi Designs and she currently resides in Houston, Texas . You can can contact her on facebook using the email kachi.designs@gmail.com
A website will be coming soon this summer.
V:What made you want to become a fashion designer?
CA: As a young girl I have always loved drawing, so drawing clothes came easy to me. I really didn’t think of designing clothes till three years ago. I didn’t have anything that I like in Ankara, that’s when I started designing clothes that I know I would love. Then nine months ago summer 2009, I finally got a sewing machine. I stayed up all night working on things. One month later I was wearing things I made.  
V: Have you studied fashion or are you currently studying fashion design?
CA:I have never attended a fashion course; I actually graduated with a Bachelors of Science in Chemistry, May 2008
V: Who is your favourite African designer
CA:I love all of them, it’s hard to be a designer and stay on top of your game. It’s an art and one detail has its own meaning.

V: Who is your favourite fashion designer in general?
CA:Same answer as above.
V: What kind of women are you designing for?
CA:The Young and Restless…lol. People that love to be different but sexy at the same time.
V: Tell us about your fashion show. What was the theme of the collection?
CA:That was my first fashion show in March 10, 2010, the Definition of a Fashionista. I was very nervous because this was the first time I was show people my work. It went great and worth all the work. Happy that people loved my work. To be honest I really didn’t have a theme but I will start putting that into thought when I make things. I wanted to show myself and others a variety of things that I had learnt how to do.
V: Are items available for sale?
CA:Yes I have items on sale. And I custom create styles on demand.
V: What is a fashion designers best accessory?
CA:Jewelry, it brings out the colors in the outfit. It’s like the icing on the cake.

V: What is your goal in terms of your fashion label. What do you ultimately want to achieve?
CA:I would love to open an online boutique. And continue to advertise by having fashion show and trunk show.

V: What advice would you give anyone trying to pursue a career as a fashion designer?
CA:Do your research about what you love so that you don’t make the same mistakes as veterans designers.




  

0 comments:

Post a Comment